Guthrie Jr. High School Addition
“This school addition, built by the WPA, is adjacent to the Guthrie Jr. High School…
The Guthrie Junior High School was constructed in 1924, originally as the Guthrie High School. It is a beautiful brick and stone building, immediately adjacent to the east of this addition.
This WPA-constructed building has no shield or identifier, but is shown on a list of WPA properties in Logan County. The contractor is shown as Chas. M. Moureau Company. The property is shown as being at Oklahoma and Maple, but is most likely addressed as 705 E. Oklahoma, the school address…
The building is not attached to the school, but has a narrow area between which is closed off by a brick archway and iron gate. An exterior concrete stairway leads to the second floor in this “alley”. This construction is unlike most Oklahoma WPA projects, but appears to have been constructed to closely match the architecture of the adjacent school.” (waymarking.com)
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMHFJ9_High_School_Addition_Guthrie_OK List of WPA properties in Logan County
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on November 27, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE