John Sharp painted this oil on canvas mural, entitled “Hunters,” in 1942 with funds provided by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. It is viewable in the Hawarden post office lobby.
An Iowa native, Sharp was inspired by other local artists, like Grant Wood. “Hunters” was his third and last mural painted for the federal government during the Great Depression.
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: https://www.newdealartregistry.org/ https://projects.mtmercy.edu/stonecity/otherartists/sharp.html
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE