"W.P. A. funds matched by special bonds were approved [in 1936] to build a facility to house the hospital on donated land. The Town Council authorized Dr. Randolph Watts to travel to St. Louis and ask Mr. William Swift to donate land he owned."
"A new 25-bed facility was completed  on several acres located near Highway 180 and Juniper Street in Silver City utilizing the W.P. A. program. At that time, it was renamed Swift Memorial Hospital. "
-Gila Regional Medical Center
"Taking Care of Our Own: Grant County's Hospital Heritage 1883-1983," Gila Regional Medical Center <http://www.grmc.org/Home/About-GRMC/GRMC-HIstory.aspx> "New Deal Sites in New Mexico," Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps, New Mexico Humanities Council. <http://atlas.nmhum.org/atlas.php?gmap=42>
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE