The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to restore the Pomona statue (also known as the “Lady of the Plaza”) in Grand Army Plaza in Manhattan, during the mid-1930s. The statue tops the Pulitzer Fountain in the plaza’s southern half.
The New York Times: "A CITY STATUE'S LOT IS NOT A HAPPY ONE; But the Ravages of Man, Time and Neglect Are Now Being Halted by Careful Restoration," August 23, 1936 (pg. 12)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 2, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE