Graham High School, Original entrance
Graham High School was constructed in 1939 by the CCC camp in Graham (Holub). Wiley G. Clarkson was the architect, and the school is listed as one of his accomplishments (Clarkson & Co.). Clarkson is documented as having been one of the leading architects in Texas who worked with the WPA (and presumably, other New Deal agencies as he worked throughout the 1930s). The cost of the building was placed at $289,000 by Clarkson. The school remains in use, although a new auditorium has been added to the rear of the school. The new additions are complimentary in design to the original Art Deco style utilized by Clarkson.
According to the 1940 “Report No. 5. Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects,” PWA project x2269 funded the construction of the Graham High School with a loan of $90,000 and grant of $90,000 approved 10/06/1938. Construction began 12/21/1938 and was completed 9/21/1939 for a total of $203,364.
Clarkson, W. G. (n.d.) Wiley G. Clarkson's accomplishments in the architectural field. Professional Record of W. G. Clarkson and Company. Retrieved from http://www.historicryanplace.org/RPC/WileyGClarksonbio.pdf.
Holub, Dorman, Young County historian. Personal communication March 13, 2013. Mr. Holub's family worked with the CCC camp in Graham and were involved in the construction of the school.
Report No. 5. Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. Region No. 5 Texas. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 188.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on February 11, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE