Govalle Wastewater Treatment Plant Tank and BuildingOne of the decommissioned treatment tanks and support buildings
In 1934, the Public Works Administration approved a $500,000 grant and loan package for the construction of a sewage disposal plant for the City of Austin. The city purchased 31 acres of land along the Colorado River for the site of the new plant, which was to be a revolutionary facility designed for a relatively new treatment process using activated sludge. The city hired the architecture and engineering consulting firm of Hawley, Freese and Nichols to design the 6 million gallon a day plant. Brown and Root, Inc. received the contract to build the plant in November 1935. In May 1937, the Govalle Wastewater Treatment Plant was finished.
The Govalle Plant treated wastewater for 69 years before it was decommissioned in October 2006. The site continues to serve the city as the Austin Water Utility Govalle Occupational Development and Support Center.
Austin City Council Meeting Minutes - July 26, 1934 http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=88986 Austin City Council Meeting Minutes - August 23, 1934 http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=88990 Austin City Council Meeting Minutes - November 21, 1935 http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=118328 Austin City Council Meeting Minutes - May 27, 1937 http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=118417 Austin Water: Water and Wastewater History http://www.austintexas.gov/department/water-and-wastewater-history
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on May 8, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE