From the Elizabethton Golf Course website:
“In late 1935 a group of Elizabethton business men made plans to buy and develop some local property into a golf course. They retained Raymond Campbell, Attorney and charter member of the group, to obtain the necessary land for the project. Mr. Campbell was successful in purchasing 70 acres of land, up for foreclosure, for $5,000, from the Hamilton National Bank of Johnson City. The original group of men, numbering 20, invested $250 each to purchase the land.
In 1936 the same tract of land was deeded to the first Trustees of the organization – R.C. Campbell, J.C. Paty, J.C. Browning, Dr. E.T. Pearson, and S.O Powers. The Trustees immediately began developing the 70 acre tract of land into a nine-hole course under the direction of Wendell Ray. Late in the construction of the course, the WPA, working in the immediate area, was requested to help put the project in shape. Some objections arose over the involvement of the WPA in the golf course project, and with the advice of Raymond Campbell, and the consent of the State’s Attorney General, the Trustees deeded the golf course project to the City of Elizabethton for $1.00, and work on the course continued without interruption.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on July 7, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE