Glendale Playground, Queens, NY
In Sept. 1941 the New York Times described a playground being constructed by the WPA in Queens at “Central Avenue and Seventieth Street.” This site, Glendale Playground, is still in use today.
The site is also known as the “Uncle” Vito E. Maranzano Glendale Playground.
New York City’s Parks Department writes: “In 1940-41 Parks acquired the school property and an adjacent parcel for a new playground, which opened in 1942. On the cleared site, laborers from the Federal Works Projects Administration built handball and basketball courts, a softball diamond, swings, slides, seesaws, a jungle gym, a comfort station, and a free play area. The workers also planted shade trees along the perimeter to screen the playground from activity on the street.”
"Central Park Area to Be Improved For Benefit of Harlem Residents"; The New York Times, Sept. 22, 1941 NYC Parks - Glendale Playground Department of Parks, Press Release, September 12, 1942
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE