Garfield PlaygroundGarfield Playground in 2017. Photo: Scott A. Newman © All Rights Reserved, 28 August 2017
The Garfield Playground was one of a limited number of Seattle park facilities to receive upgrades through the New Deal’s Civil Works Administration (CWA) program. The main CWA project at the playground involved the construction of a retaining wall along the western edge of the property. CWA laborers began work on the $12,000 project in 1933 and completed it the following year.
Several years later, funding from the Works Project Administration (WPA) allowed the Park Department to proceed with additional improvements to the playground. In 1938, WPA workers painted the baseball field’s backstop and bleachers. One year later, they built three new concrete tennis courts in the northwest corner of the playground. Then, in 1940, workers installed lights for the baseball field and tennis courts. The WPA-built tennis courts have since been replaced by newer ones located in the northeast corner of the playground.
"Garfield Playfield and Community Center." Seattle Parks and Recreation. Accessed June 13, 2019. (http://clerk.seattle.gov/~F_archives/sherwood/Garfield.pdf)
Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Report. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1933, 1934, 1938, 1939, 1940.
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on July 2, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE