The Civil Works Administration (CWA) spent nearly eighteen hundred dollars building and remodeling privies at white and African American schools throughout the county in the 1930s. The local government contributed a portion of the nineteen hundred dollars it cost when the CWA and Emergency Relief Administration (ERA) added a room to Mitchell School in 1938. The CWA also funded a malaria control project at Edward Best School. During the period 1933 to 1939, the PWA carried out two school-building projects: construction of the Justice School and an addition to the Bunn School, at a total cost of $65,000.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on April 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE