Fort VasquezNational Archives Record Number 69-N, Public Domain.
“Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette built an adobe fort on this site about 1835 as part of their fur trading enterprise. The two sold the fort in 1841 and it was abandoned a year later. In the late 1930s, the Works Progress Administration reconstructed the adobe fort using the small portions of the
remaining walls and the limited information available regarding the size and plan of the original. The Colorado Historical Society operates the property as a museum.” (www.historycolorado.org)
Project originally submitted by The Living New Deal on April 27, 2013.
Additional contributions by Brent McKee.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE