Buildings at Fort Humboldt
WPA crews conducted extensive renovations to Fort Humboldt between 1935 and 1938. From Wikipedia: “In the 1930s, local veteran organizations became interested in restoration of the fort. They took pictures, sent to the National Archives in Washington, D.C. for plans and specifications of the fort, and began restoration of the area and development of a museum. The job turned out to be larger than they could do, and soon the Works Progress Administration was worked into the project… Fort Humboldt was registered as a California Historical Landmark on January 11, 1935.”
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 15, Folder 290-B.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on July 28, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE