Fort Hill High School Under ConstructionWPA workmen grading the areas in and around the future football stadium, December 1935. The PWA built main building is in the background. University of Maryland College Park Archives, WPA Photograph Collection, series 5.3, box 17, folder 13, and series 5.3, box 22, folder 7, and series 5.3, box 26, folder 7
The PWA helped in the construction of the main school building, while the WPA was responsible for the school’s football stadium, tennis courts and much of the surrounding grounds.
“New Deal funding relating to Fort Hill was formally initiated in November 1934 and September 1935, respectively, when the PWA committed federal funds not to exceed $230,000. The project was labeled PWA Docket #7323. Other sources brought the total amount pledged for the school to $600,000…
While the PWA’s funding provided for a major portion of the cost of Fort Hill High School, it was a $60,000 WPA funding package that initiated the building of a stadium adjoining it.”
Project submitted by Brent McKee. http://www.wpatoday.org/Fort_Hill_High_School.html http://www.forthillhs.com/Information/infobio.html http://digital.lib.umd.edu/archivesum/actions.DisplayEADDoc.do?source=MdU.ead.histms.0009.xml&style=ead
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE