Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site - AbercrombieND
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed replica barracks and other buildings at the Fort Abercrombie historic site. The buildings are still in use, but have been modified.
According to State Historical Society of North Dakota, “After the fort was abandoned in 1877, fort buildings were sold and removed from the site. A Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in 1939-1940 reconstructed three blockhouses and the stockade and returned the original military guardhouse to the site. Major portions of the WPA project have been refurbished and the site reinterpreted.”
Project originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton on August 22, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE