Former City Hall in Hearne TXPhoto: Eveline Evans, 06/09/2018 © All Rights Reserved
The Works Progress Administration built a new City Hall for Hearne in 1941. The former Hearne City Hall is located on the corner of 3rd and Cedar Streets. Built of native rock with white trim the building houses the city hall, fire station, and city council chamber. The council chamber was furnished with mahogany seats for those who wished to attend the meetings. The building was equipped with fluorescent lighting.
This was the first building specifically built for a city hall since Hearne was incorporated in 1871. The contractor for the work was Lawrence Brady of Hearne.
(The fire station bays have been enclosed and the building is currently the Hearne Municipal Court.)
The Hearne Democrat, Hearne, TX, 07 Nov 1941, Fri • Page 1 (https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20093794/the_hearne_democrat/), accessed June 12, 2018.
Hearne Democrat 02/21/1941
(https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20092956/hearne_democrat_02211941/), accessed June 12, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on June 11, 2018.