Forest Hill Park BridgeImage courtesy of Cleveland State University. Michael Schwartz Library. Special Collections.
Spanning what is now known as Forest Hills Blvd., the historic pedestrian bridge at Forest Hill Park in East Cleveland, Ohio was constructed with federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor.
“Spanning 347 feet across a deep valley in the Dugway Brook watershed, the 48-foot-high pedestrian bridge was intended to nestle in the hilly landscape of the Heights (the westernmost foothills of the Appalachians) on Cleveland’s east side.
Designed by Wilbur Watson and Associates in 1939 with consulting architects F. B. Walker and A. D. Taylor, Forest Hill Park Footbridge was built in 1939-40–the work of more than 1,000 men toiling for two years. The men were paid with Works Progress Administration funds as part of its plan to put unemployed Americans back to work on useful projects.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 14, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE