Dalton Wells CCC camp, Grand County UTDalton Wells CCC camp, Grand County UT
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was quite active in Grand County, Utah. Four CCC camps were established in and around Moab, the county seat. The first was the Warner Lake Camp, F-20, in 1933 under the US Forest Service, which also ran camp PE-214. These camps worked principally on road construction and flood control on Mill Creek. The biggest and longest lived of the CCC camps in the county was the Dalton Wells Camp, DG-32, running from 1935 to 1941. That camp operated under the Division of Grazing of the General Land Office (predecessor of the Bureau of Land Management), working around the county on rangeland improvements, such as building fences, reservoirs, roads and wells. A fourth camp, NP-7, worked at Arches National Monument from 1940 to 1942. (Frimage, pp. 283-85)
Richard Frimage, History of Grand County. Grand County UT: Utah State Historical Society, 1996.
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on September 20, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE