Fireplace of States, Bemidji
The Fireplace of States was constructed under the U.S. Federal Works Program, begun by the Civil Works Administration (CWA).
The A.P. reported in Aug. 1934:
Stones from every State and from many places of historical or unusual interest in other part of the world will be a part of the “Fireplace of States,” nearing completion on the shores of Lake Bemidji, in the heart of Minnesota’s tourist region.
Started last Winter as a CWA project, the fireplace and a log cabin housing [will] be finished within a few weeks under a special appropriation of the Federal Government.
Stones used include one from Fort McHenry, the birthplace of the Star-Spangled Banner; one of the original flagstones from Mount Vernon, brought to this country from England by George Washington in 1785, and a large rock from the seat of the first representative assembly in Brith North America, sent by Halifax, N. S.
In 1995, the fireplace was moved to its present location in the new Tourist Information Center on the Lake Bemidji waterfront.
The New York Times: "FIREPLACE OF STATES HAS STONE FROM EACH; Historical Pieces at Bemidji, Minn., Include One From Mount Vernon.," Aug. 18, 1934 (pg. 11)
Project originally submitted by Seth Hardmeyer on January 11, 2015.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.