What was then known as the Naval Training Station and Naval Hospital North Chicago, Illinois was improved as part of Federal Project F-77 by the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA).
“Among the accomplishments were the removal of 125 cottonwood trees, the roots of which had caused serious damage to the sewer system; the overhaul of water pumps at the main power plant; the painting of interior and exterior steel work at the power plant; electric wiring; and numerous minor repairs to the walks, buildings, and grounds.”
"Report of the Federal Civil Works Administration for Illinois," Mar. 31, 1934. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015074882567;view=1up;seq=82 (page 77)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 22, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE