Federal Building in LufkinEveline Evans 09/22/2018 © All Rights Reserved
“It is an excellent example of Neo-Classical architecture in a small Federal building. The simple brick building exhibits the Greek elements of Doric columns supporting an unenriched architrave at its main entry.
Built in 1935 under the auspices of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Louis Simon, Supervising Architect. After the passage of the Public Buildings Act of 1926, there was an increase in the construction of Federal Buildings in the United States. Public building construction was expanded in the 1930s to provide jobs during the Depression. It was during this period that the courthouse was built. Originally designed for use as the main Post Office for Lufkin, the interior of the building was reconfigured in 1988 for use solely as a courthouse and was named ‘Ward R. Burke United States Courthouse.'”
GSA (https://www.gsa.gov/historic-buildings/ward-r-burke-us-courthouse-lufkin-tx#significance), accessed September 25, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on September 26, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE