Salisbury Maryland Post Office
The Salisbury Post Office, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, was originally built in the 1920s. The U.S. Treasury commissioned an expansion of the building circa 1936 “which included a second floor and…an additional two bays on each end of the original five-bay building” (from a Maryland Historical Trust report).
The Treasury Section of Painting and Sculpture also commissioned artist Jacob Getlar Smith to paint three murals for the building circa 1939. “These three murals were commissioned by the U.S. Treasury Section of Painting and Sculpture at the suggestion of the Wicomico County Historical Society. The artist took his subject matter largely from historical photographs supplied by the Society, thus depicting scenes and modes of living in Salisbury in the early 19th century in an idealized manner” (from an information plaque in the post office).
Maryland Historical Trust State Historic Sites Inventory Form, prepared by Paul B. Touart, Architectural Historian, 1999. Information plaque located in lobby of post office.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on September 5, 2012.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE