Fall River entrance ranger residence, Rocky Mountain National Park CO
In 1936, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed three buildings for what was then called the Bighorn Ranger Station at the east entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park – which was the original entrance on this side of the park. The group included a ranger office with garage, a ranger residence and secondary residence/utility building.
The three structures were designed by Edward Nickel of the park service in the classic National Park rustic style popular in the first half of the 20th century. “The residence building particularly reflects the design characteristics of the style with its uncoursed native stone foundation, log construction, multi-light windows, wood shingle roof, and native stone chimney.” (www.historycolorado.org)
The Fall River Entrance Historic District was placed on the national register in 1988. The full district includes the former Bighorn Ranger Station, several houses, and some utility buildings, designed and built in the 1920s and 1930s by the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps. (wikipedia)
The three CCC buildings appear to still be in use, but the Bighorn Ranger Station has been superseded by the Fall River Visitors Center just outside the park boundary.
Julia Brock, A History of the CCC in Rocky Mountain National Park. Report to the Rocky Mountain Nature Association and Rocky Mountain National Park, 2005. https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/rmnp/ccc.pdf
Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on April 24, 2013.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE