Erie County Courthouse during renovation
The historic Erie County Courthouse building in Sandusky, Ohio was extensively renovated with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds between 1936 and 1939. [Note: Some sources mis-attribute the work to the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.).]
The P.W.A. allotted $141,095 for the project, which resulted in the near-complete restyling of the 1878 Erie County Courthouse. “The style used during the remodeling was the Art Deco style popular during that era. The smooth stone facade no longer projects at the corners, but still contains a central projection. The roof is flat and is still topped by a central tower, but much of the original decoration was stripped away. The tower is capped by a triangular cap stone.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 30, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE