The Eleanor Roosevelt Library is a room in the Whittemore House and Museum on 1526 New Hampshire Avenue, NW. The house is the headquarters of the Woman’s National Democratic Club, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the DC Preservation League, the house’s “distinguished guests have included Eleanor Roosevelt, who delivered many of her radio addresses in the 1960s from the house’s library and hosted a women-only press conference in the house to combat the obstacles faced by female journalists.”
The house was built between 1892 and 1894 but it is unknown to the Living New Deal when the library was named after the First Lady (presumably sometime after her passing in 1962).
In the library and library alcove there are photos, portraits, and artifacts relating to Eleanor Roosevelt.
“The Whittemore House and Museum” (2019 Museum Guide), Woman’s National Democratic Club (accessed September 1, 2020).
“Sarah Adams Whittemore House (Woman’s National Democratic Club),” DC Preservation League (accessed September 1, 2020).
“Our Rooms,” The Whittemore House (accessed September 1, 2020).
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on September 1, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE