District Jail (pre-improvements)
According to the Washington Post, the Public Works Administration (PWA) paid for additions to the District Jail, first built in 1876. In 1938, four new cell blocks, two connecting wings, a new powerhouse, and a new laundry facility were proposed. In 1940, the Post listed unspecified “remodeling operations” as part of the work on the jail.
According to The Hill Is Home (blog), by 1983 the jail had been razed and its functions performed by the new jail just to the south, at 19th and D streets SE. The site of the former jail is now the St.Coletta of Greater Washington complex (an extreme post-Modern design that suggests it was built in the 1980s).
“PWA assigns $1,600,000 to District’s Jail,” Washington Post, August 26, 1938, p. 1
“Local PWA Improvements,” Washington Post, August 27, 1938, p. 6
“Public works program here 75% finished,” Washington Post, July 14, 1940, p. 13
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on February 26, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE