“It is unknown when the first school was formed for this community, but in 1938 the National Youth Administration (NYA) constructed a stone school. The school in the community of Ida has been known as the Antioch, Center Ridge, Dill and Ida schools. This was one of 17 schools in the county to be constructed or renovated by the NYA or WPA during the 1930s.
Ten years after the construction of this school, a plan was devised by the county to consolidate schools of less than 350 students to larger schools using buses. The students that had attended the Dill School were sent to either the Wilburn Schools or Concord Schools. Since the consolidation of the schools, the structure has had a variety of uses. Today it is used as a partial residence and tanning/beauty care facility.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE