Diamond Point Lookout
The historic Diamond Point fire lookout tower was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
NRHP Nomination Form: “This 30 ft high steel Aermotor MC-24 tower with a 12 ft by 12 ft cab is located on the Payson Ranger District and was erected in the fall of 1936 by a CCC crew. The wood frame cabin was built in 1941. The lookout tower has been modified. Metal steps were added in 1984 and at an unknown date the original windows were replaced with sliding aluminum windows and the wooden shutters removed. The wood frame cabin with a simple gable roof and shiplap siding is little changed from when it was built. A garage barn built at the site in 1941 was destroyed in 1972. The lookout tower has lost its integrity of original design and construction and is not recommended for National Register eligibility. The wood frame cabin has retained its integrity of original design, construction, workmanship and materials and is recommended for National Register eligibility. A more recent privy of unknown date is not eligible. The boundary of the Diamond Point lookout cabin is a square which measures 40 ft by 40 ft with the cabin at the center. The area surrounding the cabin within the boundary is not considered a “buffer area”, but is integral to the setting of the property.”
National Register of Historic Places nomination form:
"National Forest Fire Lookouts in the Southwestern Region. USDA Forest Service"
(.pdf page 46 of 115; accessed Mar. 2018)
National Historic Lookout Register:
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 1, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE