Deerfield Lake DamDeerfield Lake Dam, view from outlet side, © Creative Commons BY-NC-ND, July 2019
Several New Deal agencies contributed to the construction of the Deerfield Dam in the vicinity of Hill City and the Black Hills National Forest, SD. Construction began before the Roosevelt Administration, continued during the New Deal, and finished after World War II.
According to the Bureau of Reclamation, “Construction was started on July 7, 1942, by the Farm Security Administration and was later continued by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Civilian Public Service Camp under the Works Projects Administration during World War II. The facilities were completed by the Bureau of Reclamation in 1947.”
Bureau of Reclamation (https://www.usbr.gov/projects/index.php?id=375), accessed June 2020.
Project originally submitted by Ted Grevstad-Nordbrock on June 8, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE