Deep Eddy Pool Stairs and Retaining WallsThe stairs and retaining walls were added with the new bathhouse.
The spring-fed Deep Eddy Swimming Pool was originally built in 1916 as part of a private resort on the banks of the Colorado River called “Deep Eddy Bathing Beach.” The City of Austin purchased the resort on May 31, 1935 to use as a park. Early June 1935 saw heavy rains and flooding in Central Texas with peak discharge along the Colorado River at Austin occurring on June 15. This flood destroyed all the buildings at the resort and filled the pool with debris.
The city quickly took advantage of New Deal funds for work relief projects. The Works Progress Administration provided $16,900.19 toward the $25,000 project, with the city providing the rest. The project included a new bath house, limestone stairway, retaining wall and cleaning and repair of the pool. The project broke ground on October 5, 1935 and the pool was open for business the following summer.
The bathhouse, originally dedicated in July 1936, was rehabilitated in 2006-2007 and rededicated in June 2007. Deep Eddy Bathing Beach was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 23, 2003.
Austin City Council Meeting Minutes - May 31, 1935 http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=118301 Texas Historic Sites Atlas http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/view_narrative.aspx?narrative=03000560.htm&title=Deep%20Eddy%20Bathing%20Beach&filepath=E:atlas_textnr_listedhtml
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on May 25, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE