“Dawley Memorial Park [is] a 200-acre tract of woodland [in Rhode Island] that was given to the State in 1933 by Mrs. Mary W. Dawley of the village of Wyoming. It is a memorial to her husband, Amos J. Dawley, a descendant of one of the early Colonial families. The area left of State 3 has suffered heavily from fire. Nothing was done to develop the park until 1936 when members of the C.C.C. camp at Beach Pond cleared the burned area and planted about 70,000 seedling trees. Truck trails and water holes have been constructed to aid the control of forest fires. The Picnic Grove (R), covering 59 acres, is one of the largest in the State (32 fireplace sites, tables, benches, water supply, firewood, foot trails, and parking area).”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 15, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE