The Civil Works Administration and the Public Works Administration (PWA) completed improvements at the District of Columbia Reformatory and Workhouse (today’s “D.C. Workhouse and Reformatory Historic District”) between 1933 and 1940.
“During the latter part of December 1933 an appropriation was obtained from the Civil Works Administration for the construction of 4 dormitory buildings and 2 buildings for officers’ quarters. This work was handled as a Virginia project through the Fairfax County administrator. Work was started January 2, 1934, and when work was terminated on March 31, 1934, the 4 dormitories were about 90 percent complete, and the 2 buildings for officers’ quarters were about 20 percent complete. Plans and engineering work were handled by the District of Columbia penal institutions. These buildings were completed later by the regular construction force of the institutions.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1935)
PWA, 1938-1939, “Two new sewer treatment plants, a septic tank at the brick plant and a 250-thousand-gallon storage-tank filter, all of which are Public Works Administration projects, will prove a substantial addition to the physical equipment of the institutions.” (Report of the Government of the District of Columbia 1940)
Report of the Government of the District of Columbia, For the Year Ended June 30, 1934, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1935, pp. 36-37.
Report of the Government of the District of Columbia, For the Year Ended June 30, 1939, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1940, p. 227.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on August 31, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE