Cox gymnasium/Courtyard TheaterA multi purpose theater rebuilt by Theatre Projects of London
“In the fall of 1999, the Plano City Council established a tax increment finance district in downtown Plano. Four and a half million dollars of the projected income from the district was earmarked for the creation of the Courtyard Theater. This project is an adaptive re-use of the Cox Annex, a historic structure located in Haggard Park Historic District.
The Cox gymnasium/auditorium was built in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration project. Interestingly, it was constructed on almost the exact location of the Civic Auditorium (1909) which had been built by subscriptions pledged by Plano citizens. Here the Lyceum was held in winter, and in summer the Chautauqua, founded in 1914, was held.” (www.theatreprojects.com)
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on April 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE