Garland County Courthouse Hot Springs ArkansasGarland County Courthouse Hot Springs Arkansas
The CWA did repairs to the Garland County courthouse in Hot Springs. The Garland County Courthouse is located at Ouachita Avenue and Hawthorne Street in Hot Springs (Garland County). The four-story brick building is recognized by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program to be both architecturally and historically significant, with one source calling it perhaps the finest example of Renaissance Revival–style architecture in the state. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Garland County Courthouse was constructed as a rectangular building with central bays projecting from its northern and southern sides. It featured a domed lantern on the roof and a pair of Ionic columns. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1905. Fireproof vaults were installed to safeguard county records. However, that building was left a shell after being severely damaged in the Hot Springs fire of 1913, with many county records destroyed in the allegedly fireproof vaults. With the remaining masonry-concrete frame of the courthouse discovered to be sound, Garland County rebuilt the courthouse that is used today.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 13, 2017.