County Hospital in MesaNational Archives Record Group 69-N
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an addition to the County Hospital, also known as the Southside District Hospital in Mesa. The hospital was built in 1923 as a 12-bed facility with emergency and surgical services. The hospital expanded to 37 beds after the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an addition. This was the only hospital facility in Mesa at that time. The building was designed in the Mission Revival style, with typical architectural elements such as arched openings and clay tile roof. Pictured are hospital facilities such as an x-ray room, an operating room, and the nursery.
The exact location and current condition of the structure is unknown to the Living New Deal. After the hospital closed, it served as the Maricopa County Health Center, and later it was used by the Benedictine University.
National Archives Record Group 69-N
Mesa History, Southside District Hospital: (https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/mesa-history/2016/11/10/mesa-history-mesa-and-surrounding-cities-gets-their-first-hospital/93224682/), accessed December 7, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on December 8, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE