“Located on the south side of South Table Mountain, the amphitheater was constructed by the WPA during 1933-35. With an estimated 2,500 seats, it is the second largest of only four known historic open-air amphitheaters in Colorado. The fieldstone and concrete seating area was built on the natural slope below the mesa’s edge. It forms an inverted Ushape that is flanked by concrete mortared stone walls, which are buttressed for support. An associated footbridge, crossing a drainage, provides access from a parking lot.” (www.historycolorado.org)
The amphitheater was built to serve Camp George West of the National Guard. One of its primary uses was to show films to the troops. Today it belongs to the National Renewable Energy Lab.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE