College Station Post OfficeC.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
The historic College Station post office in New York, New York on West 140th St. was one of many post offices in Manhattan constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. This project was implemented by the Public Works Administration. The building’s cornerstone, and an interior plaque, put the dates of construction at 1935 to 1937. The building is still in service.
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown:
“This delightfully designed postal station is on West 140th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues and serves a district bounded by the Harlem River on the east, St. Nicholas Avenue on the west, and a depth of 20 blocks north and south. It is beyond the pneumatic-tube area. It derives its name from a former station near the College of the City of New York. The lobby is 21 by 47 feet and has a terrazzo floor, a marble wainscot, and wood trim. The structure is fireproof except for the woodplank roof which is supported on steel girders. The exterior walls are brick with a granite base and limestone trim.
The project was completed in May 1937 at a construction cost of $98,562. The [Public Works Administration] P.W.A. allotment was $172,104 and the cost of the site was $50,000.”
This building was erected under the act of Congress dated June 16, 1933 and was completed during the administration of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, President of the United States of America.
Henry Morgenthau Jr. of New York, Secretary of the Treasury
James A Farley, Postmaster General
Albert Goldman, Postlaster, New York City
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939). Building cornerstone, plaque
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 15, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE