Sierra Vista Community Center
“The Colfax Grammar School (shown below) was built in 1940 as a [Work Projects] Administration (WPA) building. Later it became the Colfax Elementary School. In 1986, it was acquired by the Sierra Vista Community Center, which offers classes, programs, and community events.”
The school has been substantially altered since its original construction and bears no direct indication of WPA involvement. However, sidewalks and retaining walls on the grounds bear at least five separate instances of WPA imprint stamps.
Colfax Cobblestones, March 2017, Issue: 29.1
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 3, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE