The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted construction and other improvement work at Charleston Field, today the joint military-civilian airfield site of Charleston Field [Joint Base Charleston] and Charleston International Airport.
“During the 1930s, airport operations expanded to keep pace with advances in general and commercial aviation being experienced throughout the country. Despite the Great Depression, the Federal Government stepped in to assist the city with modernizing the airport. In 1935, the Works Progress Administration literally poured $313,000 into the airport. Workers paved one 3,500-foot-long runway (1,100 m) and constructed a second 3,000-foot one (910 m). The project also improved upon the existing lighting system with up-to-date field lighting.” (Wikipedia)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 13, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE