Chambers Park NYA Log Cabin
From a 1993 “Maryland Register of Historic Properties Internal Listing Notice” (prepared by Dr. Conrad Gregory):
“The Chambers Park Log Cabin is significant as an example (of) New Deal park architecture more commonly associated with western Maryland parks than those on the eastern shore…The log cabin is located inside Chambers Park…While the NYA constructed the log cabin, another recovery alphabet program, the Works Progress Administration (WPA), developed the rest of the park and the lake.” (The land for the park was a gift to the town of Federalsburg by Thomas H. Chambers, mayor of Federalsburg from 1915-1947.)
Today, “Chambers Park offers tennis courts, hand ball courts, picnic tables, barbecue grills, a skate board park and playground equipment for children. There are two baseball diamonds and a football field where little league, senior league, Pop Warner Football and Cheerleading teams practice and play on a daily basis. Chambers Lake provides a beautiful quiet picnic area on a peninsula into the Lake where the peace of nature and water falling over a dam can be enjoyed” (http://www.federalsburg.org/
(1) “Maryland Register of Historic Properties Internal Listing Notice” for the Chambers Park Log Cabin, 1993, available at the Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties website (http://mdihp.net/), accessed October 16, 2012. (2) Town of Federalsburg website, http://www.federalsburg.org/doandsee.php, accessed October 16, 2012. (3) WPA photo collection, University of Maryland College Park Archives.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on October 17, 2012.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE