Central Park, Maine Monument
“The Maine Monument at the southwest entrance to Central Park at 59th Street and Central Park West, created by Harold Van Buren Magonigle (architect) and Attilio Piggirilli (sculptor), dedicated in 1913. By the 1930s, fingers and toes of many of the statues around the base had been broken off by vandals, the bronze sword was missing, and the joinery and surface of the marble base were badly stained. In 1934 new fingers and toes and sword were created and affixed and the monument thoroughly cleaned the New Deal Monument Restoration Project under Karl Gruppe.” (kermitproject.org)
As Carol Lowrey explains, “Gruppe was closely involved in the conservation of New York’s public sculptures from 1934 to 1937, during which time, under the auspices of the New York City Department of Parks’ Monument Restoration Project and Public Works of Art Project, he chaired a committee of sculptors who oversaw the restoration of significant monuments and fountains throughout the city.”
http://kermitproject.org/newdeal/centralpark/mainemonument.html Lowrey, Carol, A Legacy of Art: Paintings and Sculptures by Artist Life Members of the National Arts Club, Hudson Hills (2007).
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on July 31, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE