Central Park, Columbus Monument
“The Columbus Monument at the south west (main) entrance to Central Park at 59th Street and Central Park West (and Broadway), created by Italian sculptor Gaetano Russo and dedicated in 1882. By the 1930s it was serverely stained by soot, its base was cracked by vibration, and natural veins in the sculpture itself were opened by vibration and weathering. It was cleaned and restored by the New Deal Monument Restoration Project under Karl Gruppe.” (kermitproject.org)
As Carol Lowrey explains, “Gruppe was closely involved in the conservation of New York’s public sculptures from 1934 to 1937, during which time, under the auspices of the New York City Department of Parks’ Monument Restoration Project and Public Works of Art Project, he chaired a committee of sculptors who oversaw the restoration of significant monuments and fountains throughout the city.”
https://kermitproject.org/newdeal/centralpark/columbusmonument.html Lowrey, Carol, A Legacy of Art: Paintings and Sculptures by Artist Life Members of the National Arts Club, Hudson Hills (2007).
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on July 31, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE