Central Park Bridle PathCentral Park Bridle Path at West 90th Street, next to the Reservoir.
Though Central Park was created in the 19th century by Olmsted and Vaux, the New Deal helped the Parks Department carry out massive improvements to the park from 1934 to 1938.
Work relief funds and labor were used to construct 4 1/2 miles of bridle paths in the park: one circling the Reservoir, one around the North Meadow and one at the southern end of the park. (www.kermitproject.org)
http://www.kermitproject.org Rosenzweig, Roy, and Elizabeth Blackmar, The Park and the People: A History of Central Park, Cornell University Press (1992), pp.448-451. Caro, Robert A., The Power Broker - Robert Moses and the Fall of New York, Vintage Books (1974), pp.368-372. The Report of the Department of Parks to August 1934: Memorandum on 1935 Budget Request of the Department of Parks, NYC Department of Parks archive. New York City Parks Department photo archive, negative number 14257. http://www.kermitproject.org/newdeal/centralpark/bridlepath1.html http://www.kermitproject.org/newdeal/centralpark/greatlawn2.html http://www.kermitproject.org/newdeal/centralpark/northmeadow1.html
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on March 1, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE