Seattle Public LibrarySeattle Public Library (Peter J. Weber, 1906) at 4th Avenue and Madison Street, 1930s Postcard. Source: HistoryLink.org
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) funded and carried our maintenance work for the Central Library (The Seattle Public Library).
The HistoryLink.org website to highlights the history of the first of three libraries that have existed in downtown Seattle: “Since 1906, the city block bordered by 4th and 5th avenues and Madison and Spring streets in the heart of downtown Seattle has been the site of a succession of three completely different buildings housing the Central Branch of The Seattle Public Library. The first, an imposing Classical Revival style structure partially clad in Tenino sandstone, was constructed using funds donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, and served Seattle’s reading public for roughly the first half of the twentieth century.”
Further reading in the article mentions the WPA funds utilized for the Central Library: “The advent of federal works projects in late 1933 brought the library some relief. By 1935 federally paid workers were performing labor and maintenance tasks, and 55 WPA (Works Progress/Progress Administration) employees were assisting with clerical work.”
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on October 16, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE