A new auditorium/gymnasium was added to the existing Catchings school as PWA project 1288. Architects Hull & Drummond designed the alterations and additions. A $9,000 loan and a $9,163 grant were provided. Approval was received 9/13/1938, and construction began 12/8/1938. The additions were completed 11/2/1939 for a total of $20,386. The name of the town was changed to Delta City sometime during the late 1940s.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory. Catchings Consolidate School. Retrieved Nov 2, 2019 from:
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division. P. 106.
Grants given state by PWA. (Sep 15, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 3.
PWA aided in construction of 228 school buildings in state; complete list given. (Sep 25, 1939). Clarion-Ledger.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 4, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE