Cass County Courthouse
On August 19, 1933 a fire of unknown origin swept through the two-story Cass County Courthouse in Linden. A call went out to all available citizens to help fight the growing blaze. As Linden had no water system or fire truck, those who responded were asked to hand pump water from local wells and line up in bucket brigades. A call went out for assistance to Texarkana, Jefferson and Atlanta, cities with tanker trucks and more sophisticated firefighting expertise. By the time help arrived and the fire was put out, most of the second floor was gutted.
During 1934, thanks to the facilitation of Texas’s 1st congressional district representative Wright Patman, a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant/loan package for $38,000 was expeditiously secured for post-fire repairs to the damaged courthouse, including the addition of a third floor. Other alterations to the building occurred over the years. In 2012, under the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program, the courthouse was restored to its 1934 appearance.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 9, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE