Carson Park Baseball Stadium
"In the early 1930s the success of the Eau Claire Bears, a "farm" team affiliated with the Chicago Cubs, encouraged Eau Claire to apply to the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to fund recreational improvements in Carson Park. The centerpiece of these projects was the simple but elegant sandstone-walled stadium, built to seat over 1500 fans. The stone was quarried from a site in nearby Downsville, Wisconsin. Unemployed skilled laborers were given work on the stadium through 1936 and readied the ballpark for action by early 1937."
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE