Carnegie Library in Paso RoblesSource: Carnegie Libraries https://www.carnegie-libraries.org/california/pasorobles.html
The Carnegie Libraries web page summarizes the history of the structure:
“A men’s group, the Paso Robles Improvement Club, initiated the first library in 1901, and the ladies auxiliary persuaded the city to establish a free public library in 1903. A Carnegie grant of $10,000 was received in 1906 for the building; the park, a full city block between 11th and 12th and Spring and Pine streets, was selected as the site. William H. Weeks, California’s most prolific Carnegie architect, designed the building and R.O. Summers was the contractor. A small addition to the rear was built in 1939 by the WPA. Pollsters evaluating the future of the building in 1981 found that 82.6% of the townspeople believed it was “very important” to preserve the building and an overwhelming number cited historic old buildings and City Park as important elements of Paso Robles as a place to live and shop. In 1998 the building was rededicated for its new use by the El Paso de Robles Area Historical Society for local history and genealogy research and displays.”
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on October 27, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE