Capital Park, CCC Boys
The Augusta State Park, or Capital Park, is comprised of the land between the State House and the Kennebec River. It is the earliest known, consciously designed public ground in Maine. The intent of the design was to create a dignified setting for viewing the State Capitol Building along with other public functions. WWI Veteran Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) members from Jefferson camp were involved in clearing a ravine, planting trees, and building trails and benches in 1935.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on January 21, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE