Cape Creek CCC Camp
On April 5th, 1933, the day that the executive order forming the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was signed, officials of the U.S. Forest Service announced that they would select land near Cape Perpetua for one of the largest of the CCC camps in the Siuslaw National Forest. The site selected was approximately two miles south of Yachats just east of US Highway 101 on the banks of Cape Creek. Construction of the camp began in June 1933 with a crew of twenty-five local CCC recruits. With its completion, the number of CCC workers residing at Cape Creek Camp grew to between 200 and 250. It remained an active camp until the CCC ended at the beginning of WWII.
During that period, CCC workers constructed a recreational campground, an extensive trail network including landscape features such as the West Shelter and parapet at the summit of Cape Perpetua, parking at the Devil’s Churn, and local forest roads. Under the supervision of the US Forest Service, they also planted trees in a vast area between the coast and the Willamette Valley.
The camp sat on land just to the south and west of the current Cape Perpetua Visitor Center (Siuslaw National Forest). Camp buildings included four bunk houses, a mess hall, a recreation room, an infirmary and assorted equipment buildings. Although none of these remain, several foundation slabs, steps and retaining walls are preserved and visitor information is provided.
"Camp Sites Inspected: Men to be Put to Work in Siuslaw Forest," Oregonian. April 6, 1933. p. 12.
Interview: Cape Perpetua Visitor Center, US Forest Service Staff. February 12, 2020.
US 101 Coast Highway Historic Context. AECOM Consultant Report; Submitted to Oregon Department of Transportation. February 2, 2015.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on April 11, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE