A sign in front of the building reads:
"Built in 1933, the California National Guard Armory was funded by the U.S. Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the Depression. This structure reflects a Spanish architectural style and is one of the few known WPA structures remaining in downtown San Jose. Originally constructed to consolidate National Guard Units from the South Bay Area, the Armory is the Headquarters of the California National Guard 3rd Brigade, 40th Infantry Division. This building is a memorial to local veterans who have served their community, state, and nation in times of war and peace."
The building is definitely still standing and was still a veterans' memorial building as late as 2007. However, it may now be vacant.
For photos of the building and the above quoted sign see: http://www.waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=1acb8d61-9bd9-4937-b1ae-610ce655bb06&wo=True&p=10&wst=6&sg=fd181220-d314-47ca-a5cb-2a351bc3f9fc&st=2
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE